Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fall: A time of grieving, and letting go

According to Chinese notions of energy and the body, Fall is the time when old, unfinished emotional business comes to the surface and asks, yet again to be resolved. Grief, mainly - loss, remorse, etc. According to this belief system, the body parts most affected by unexpressed old grief are lungs and large intestine.

I'm re-watching Ice Age for the millionth time, and the scene where the little mammoth curls up under a snow-covered tree, lost, seeking shelter, and finds a mama possum hanging down, peering at her.

The mama possum takes her in (yeah, well, it's a *cartoon*. *I* didn't write the story!), and Ellie (the mammoth) becomes part of the possum family.

Knowing my downstairs neighbor was home, and hearing how quiet it is, I was aware that he'd hear me if I cried, and I felt embarrassed. So I cried a little, but not enough.

Minutes later, my throat started to feel sore.

So, I stopped the movie, thought about my plans for the afternoon - need to renew my vehicle tabs, but it's a long drive, I'm nearly out of gas, the one trip I *have* to make this weekend, for a rehearsal tomorrow, will still be in October. I can do it Monday, take the bus if I have to.

Plus it's pouring - the temperature's dropping like mad, I heard from someone yesterday that it's supposed to be a nasty winter this year, and today is the first day that it feels like winter (I think we go directly from summer to winter, we don't ever really seem to have much of a fall.)

And my neighbor gave my some money (for bills) today, and I thought, what if he's sick? Did he give me some germs along with the $$?

So then I thought: Stay home. Do whatever you have to do, but don't go out right now.

So I played back through the sad part, and cried, and immediately my throat felt better.

Amazing stuff, this energy medicine thinking. It makes it really clear (to *me*, at least) that the human organism makes no distinction between body and mind - that's an entirely artificial construct humans have created for some reason that currently escapes me. Kind of like a fad, I think - a long-playing obsession with the 'Age of Reason'. Well, turns out it's not as 'reason'able as we'd like to think.

No comments: