Tuesday, August 31, 2010

pickled

What do you do if your life seems to be resistant to any and all forms of long-term planning? What if any and all end results seem to turn out so differently from what you'd hoped for and/or expected that you can't even tell that you ever *made* any effort at planning?

I've gotten to the point where I pretty much don't make any plans other than short-term ones. I have so little confidence in my ability to predict ANYTHING that's going to happen in my life beyond about 6 months from now that it seems ridiculous to even attempt it.

I've tried to sell myself on the 'surfing' metaphor so that I can feel less out of control. And I continue to collect various sayings and quotes that appear to offer solace, such as, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans," or, "I might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride..." (I think that last ought to be edited to say, "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.......")

It reminds me that about 5 years ago a friend did a (relatively serious) astrological chart for me, and when he read it, translating the details, he basically said, "Your chart is a little unusual in that it really offers no concrete advice or wisdom - you're pretty much going to have to make up everything as you go."

Great.

Well, I'll let you know if I come up with any brilliant new ideas for how to get myself out of *this* pickle. Or maybe I should go 'distract' again and see if I can *draw* a pickle with my new friend, MS Paint.

[Ok, so it looks more like a jalapeno. Whatever.]














Maybe a surfer pickle? Pickle surfer?

No comments: