Tuesday, May 10, 2011

deaf, dumb and blind kid

What if I CAN hear things others can’t?

What if there *are* some of us who are

more tuned in
more aware
more present?

What if some of us *do* see, do hear,
more fully, completely, complexly?

We *have* to find others like ourselves, or else we’ll go

completely fucking INSANE.

***
The lyric is from a song by the Who, Pinball Wizard, which I heard a lot as a kid, and always wondered at its ‘meaning’, until one day I read or heard somewhere that it been written on a dare, or possibly a bet? to see if a ‘nonsense’ song could be written that would reach the top 10 or top 40 or some such thing. Which I think makes the song even *better*...

***
I was always taught, by my father, especially, to *never* think I was

special
important
or
*better* than anyone.

It was ok for him (and *others*) to

put *me* down
make fun of *me*
knock me on my ass.

It was just ME who had to always

be good
need nothing
ask for nothing

take up no space.

Sad grasshopper face :-(.

***
It took me a long, LONG time, most of my life, really, to get hip to his trip, to ‘catch’ him at his game. The game he still plays in my head, though he’s been dead half my life...

So: Don’t EVER buy into the bullshit that words have no effect, no power.

Words are THE most powerful, BECAUSE:

They are insidious.

They seep into our brains, our spirits, our psyches, our souls, and pervade, or sometimes invade, our mental space to such an extent that it’s like

an echo chamber, a
recording stuck in an eternal playback loop.

***
That ‘deaf, dumb and blind kid’?

He’s everywhere, and, sadly, he (or, sometimes, she) isn’t even interesting enough to play a mean pinball.

He’s just this mindless, senseless, numb blob that

TAKES UP SPACE

fills it up from one side to the other with

noise
stench
unnecessary movement.

How to explain?

It’s like:

Your senses are on full gain all the time – there *is* no ‘off’ switch, no volume control knob.

You don’t want to *break* the thing, or tamper with it, or disable it – it’s YOU, it’s who you ARE, it’s an essential part of your BE-ing, just like your eyes and nose and whatever.

I mean, *sure* it might make it *easier*, maybe even for *you* as well as those around you if you

fit, better
conformed
knuckled under.

But then you wouldn’t be YOU
any more, would you?

You wouldn’t even be somebody *else* - you’d just be this tree
with all the limbs chopped off

like some asshole with a pruning shears came by and
LOPPED them all off

leaving your ‘personality’
on the ground
in a mindless
senseless
heap.

Death. Or as good as.

No comments: