Wednesday, May 6, 2009

just being around my family triggers shame

because the old feelings come up, the ones I'm not supposed to talk about, like this giant iceberg inside me that clanks around and bashes against my insides. But when I'm with my family I have to pretend that the iceberg isn't there, that it isn't this massive obstacle/burden/handicap that I'm dragging around everywhere I go.

My brother said, I love you.
He also said, I'm not your therapist.
He also said, I don't want to have to listen to your shit any more.
He said, is it any wonder that nobody wants to be around you (meaning him and my SIL)
He said, You're always playing the victim. You have such a chip on your shoulder.
He said, I think you need to be on medication.
He did NOT say, more gently, less judgmentally, Have you considered taking something to help you deal with this?

Can you imagine the pain of having to listen to all this? The "I love you" opens you up, disarms you; and then they come in with the knives: Stab, stab. And you're lying there bleeding from a hundred places, in pain and shock, and they can't even see it. Maybe it's my own fault; maybe I became so guarded as a child that now, as an adult, I fail to have the 'normal' reaction that someone 'should' have, that lets someone know they've gone too far, namely - what? Tears? Anger? Rage? Throwing the son-of-a-bitch out of the house? I think that's part of the problem: I don't even know what a 'normal' reaction to abusive language would look like. (Though I suppose I've seen it in the shocked, hurt or angry reactions of my nieces, who haven't had their natural resistance beaten out of them yet [and hopefully never will - I like to think I've had some influence there, as I've said before].) And half the time, even if I managed to have a 'normal' reaction, I'd instantly feel guilty, worrying that I'd been too harsh, to unkind, too unfair. I'd instantly relent, not wanting to to damage the relationship. Now if only I'd ever seen them worry about hurting my feelings...

Much of the time I'm so shocked by their behavior that I can't think how to react until the moment is long past. Just learning to be able to speak up at all in the face of what I see as shocking cruelty has been such a huge struggle. And now I feel that they only want me around if I agree to be silent. As if I were one of the children - powerless and required to submit to their need to dominate, to have power and control. Well, I will not. I will not be silent; I will not submit.
Not going to happen. Even if it means being shut out by the family - that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I sometimes think that they just simply don't know how to be kind. Not truly, not genuinely. If I spell out exactly what I need, down to the last eyelash of detail, and do it in an absolutely calm, cool, rational, unemotional way, making sure not to trigger any of his buttons, then he'll sometimes do what I ask. But it's so exhausting - it feels, always, like a one-way street, where I'm being the patient parent, showing him the way, talking/walking him through it. If I don't follow this procedure, if I just simply express what I feel, all communication shuts down, comes to a screeching halt. And if I don't do all the work, the communication never happens. It's simply expected that, once enough time has passed, it will be all better. It will somehow just magically go away with no one having to say a word, make an apology, mend a bridge. Magical thinking.

It's finally getting through to me that his definition of love is: Don't burden me with your messy and inconvenient feelings. Which is the exact same message I grew up with from the parents.

This message is cruel and unkind: It says, I will love you as long as you don't bother me with your problems. A very conditional kind of love. I might even go so far as to say that it doesn't feel like love to me AT ALL.

I've made all the excuses for them that there are, in the desperate need to believe that they care about me - they haven't thought about this like I have; they don't know what they're saying; they really don't believe that what they're saying/doing is hurtful.

Grasshopper, none of that matters.

What matters is that you protect yourself.

At this point what that means is: Stay strictly away from them. All of them. Even the nieces, since you can't be around them without being around their parents.

Do NOT re-traumatize yourself. You are healing. You cannot heal when you continually expose yourself to the same shit that caused the damage in the first place.

As long as you feel like there's a gigantic bandage over your mouth, a big sticky piece of duct tape telling you to shut the fuck up, there will BE no healing in the presence of the so-called family. In order to heal you need to be only around people to whom you can speak your truth. Which means being able to express all your feelings, even the messy, ugly, painful ones that nobody wants to hear.

So for the sake of your sanity and physical and mental health: Stay the hell away from them.

2 comments:

kitty said...

Hi Grasshopper,

When I started to deal with all the pain I was carrying around, I, too, had to distance from my family. I gave myself permission not to go "home" for Christmas, for example, even if it meant being alone (it wasn't so bad, I found). But I got a lot of bad advice, crap about "honoring thy father and thy mother" that hooked all my guilt, and I kept trying to have a relationship w/my parents and siblings. I always ended up feeling awful, unheard, like I was the one expected to take care of their needs and NEVER expect it in return; everything you say to a frightening degree of accuracy. About five years ago, after an altercation with my older sister that proved without a doubt how little I really meant to her, I gave up altogether, and I am sad about that, and there are aspects I miss about my sisters and yes, even my father, but I am sooo much better off without them in my life. My healing increased exponentially when I made this decision. Exponentially.

Some time after I'd made that decision, I came across this quote:

The farther behind I leave the past, the closer I am to forging my own character.- Isabelle Eberhardt

I thought you might like it.

Take care,

Kitty

grasshopper said...

Hi Kitty,

Thanks for your support and encouragement! It really helps to know someone else has gone through a similar thing.

I personally never experienced the 'honor the mother and father' stuff - we're not religious (does that have anything to do with it?) and my father is long dead. With my mom it's more the massive silent treatment, of never knowing what's going on with her. My current conclusion is that she just simply doesn't know how to talk about things, and refuses to try. Which leaves me kind of up the proverbial sh*t creek when something goes amok. I decided years ago that I'd no longer be the parent in that relationship (once I realized what was going on).

Getting these words from you is, I think, the enlightened witness in action: It provides what I call the 'experiential replacement' that no amount of cognitive work can accomplish. So thank you again! Even though I began to 'give myself permission' to break away from the family several years ago, having the permission come from outside myself provides immense validation of the choices I'm making. The only support I've had before now has been from the books and articles I read.

My own disengagement has been sort of in layers: First from the middle brother, the obvious bully; then with mixed success from mom (because of her entanglement in my primary social community); and now with my younger brother. I avoided the holidays the last two years, but I wouldn't say it was pain-free - the first year I had massive panic attacks and thought I was going to die, literally (need to write about that, something about abandonment). It was terrifying. This year was a little easier, but mostly made possible by massive dissociation/distraction (watched about 10 videos over the course of three days) and liberal application of alcohol on the day in question - it's funny, I've almost never been actually 'drunk', but on Christmas I drank an entire bottle of Jack Daniels over the course of the day, and I never really seemed to go 'out' completely - it just took the edge off enough so that I didn't go into panic mode. Which was the main goal. Keep those suckers at bay if you feel one coming, they can rip you apart.

Since then I've been able to develop the connection with the 'far-away' friend I refer to, which helps stabilize me when I get that far out to sea, emotionally speaking. He's been a great anchor, amazingly reliable.

And now finding you to share stories with is great - I keep having this image of us both making our way through a big jungle, each engaged in our separate business, but every now and then we catch a glimpse of each other through the trees and wave or shout a greeting or other encouragement, like, "Hey, did you know if you go *that* way there's a nice shortcut?" Something like that, anyway.

Nice quote, thanks for sharing it! Currently the one I lean on a lot for moral support is, "Not all who wander are lost."

Good wishes to you,
~grasshopper