Monday, January 3, 2011

Trying to make sense out of non sense.

We are creatures that seek order, or, perhaps, some kind of ordering principle, in our lives? Hence religion and other ‘belief’ systems.

I read somewhere that the human mind is basically a pattern-seeking device, and that when ‘intelligence’ (in its most ‘raw’ form) is ‘measured’, what’s being measured is the capacity to find patterns.

So: Do we tend to seek (and/or *see*) patterns even where none exist?

I think the last ten or so years of my life have been an attempt to impose some kind of order on what often seems like a chaotic, random and completely disconnected series of events; to *attempt* to understand how my behaviors, beliefs, thoughts, etc., may or may not have shaped such events, so that I could avoid having it happen again.

I suspect that the people who are most ‘successful’ in life – that is, reasonably content with their lot, and able to get a majority of their ‘human needs’ met?

Are those who are basically able to say, about nearly *anything* that happens in their lives: Shit happens.

No comments: