Tuesday, April 28, 2009

so if I had bad models right out of the gate,

can I re-imprint myself?

The 'self re-imprinting' approach would be what I think cognitive behavior therapy tries to do. Anecdotally, it sounds like it might work for some folks. In fact, I'll even admit (despite major skepticism) that it might even be working for me, to some degree.

But you know what? I still hold that any real progress I've made at re-mapping, rewiring, whatever you want to call it, is experience-based. I'm pretty convinced at this point that the only way genuinely useful changes happen on the behavioral front is to have different experiences.

Once again we're at the mercy of fate here, I'd say. You can do all the groundwork you want, but if the right person doesn't come along at the right time, no amount of 'therapy' is going to do the trick. If the therapist(s) you're using to try to help you rewire things aren't the right match for your particular type of brain and individual situation, you could easily end up worse off than you started (which happens all the time). It's basically a game of chance.

No comments: