Wednesday, April 29, 2009

when other people can't perceive your hurdles

Still noodling over this 'playing the victim' idea, trying to figure out how to bridge the gap between people who think like this and my own way of thinking about it.

One of the most useful concepts I've seen for deconstructing power imbalances is Unpacking the Backpack of Privilege, . A variant on t

Getting someone who has some kind of unrecognized privilege to actually think about it is another thing altogether. I mean, why would they? Why would they give up something that, from their point of view, they deserve? Why would they even consider another point of view?

I think I'm trying to 'know my enemy', and boy is it like turning my mind into one big knot! It's like trying to see the back of your own head without a mirror...

No comments: