Wednesday, September 1, 2010

childhood emotional trauma and later life resiliency (or lack thereof)

From this website http://www.uic.edu/classes/psych/psych270/PTSD.htm.

I'm just going to cut and paste a big segment for now, then come back and see what I want to keep later (bolds are mine, except title):
Damaged Self
Trauma forces the survivor to relive all earlier struggles over autonomy, initiative, competence, identity, and intimacy.

The developing child's positive sense of self depends upon a caretaker's benign use of power.

Traumatic events violate the autonomy of the person at the level of basic bodily integrity (Body ego -> first sense of "I")
The belief in a meaningful world is formed in relation to others and begins earliest life. Basic trust, acquired in the primary intimate relationship is the foundation of faith. Trauma creates a crisis of faith.

Damage to the survivor's faith and sense of community is particularly severe when the event themselves involve the betrayal of important relationships.


Survivors oscillate between:

Uncontrollable outbursts of anger and intolerance of rage in any form.

Seeking intimacy desperately and totally withdrawing from it.

Self esteem is assaulted by experiences of humiliation, guilt, and helplessness.

Vulnerability and Resilience

Individual personality characteristics count for little in the face of overwhelming events. With severe enough experience, no person is immune.

Individual differences play a part in determining the form PTSD will take. It is related to individual history, emotional conflicts, and adaptive style.


Highly resilient people are able to make use of any opportunity for purposeful action in concert with others,

while ordinary people are more easily paralyzed or isolated by them.

Comment: This person seems to suggest and/or assume that 'high resiliency' is a personality trait. A lot of assumptions being made here (by the writer) - how can you tell, in retrospect, whether the traumatized person started out being resilient, but became less so over time with repeated blows to their self esteem? Chicken and egg.

Note to self: As always, take what you need and leave the rest - take this particular bit of 'advice' with many grains of salt....

Some features of highly resilient people:

1. Alert, active temperament

2. Unusual sociability

3. Good communicating skills

4. Strong internal locus of control

and

GOOD LUCK



Increased vulnerability is enhanced by:

1. Disempowerment (children, adolescents)

2. Disconnection from others

3. Lack of social supports

4. Poor or absent communication avenues

The Effect of Social Support

The survivor's social world
can influence the eventual outcome of trauma.


The emotional support that is sought takes many forms and changes during the course of resolution.

In the immediate aftermath, rebuilding of some minimal form of trust is the primary task. Assurances of safety and protection are of the greatest importance.

Then, the survivor needs assistance of others in rebuilding a positive sense of self.

Others must show tolerance for the oscillating behaviors of the survivor. It is not blanket acceptance but the kind of respect for autonomy that fostered the original development of self esteem in the first year of life. (Movement toward self-regulation).

The survivor needs the assistance of others in her/his struggle to arrive at a fair assessment of her/his conduct. Harsh criticism or ignorance or blind acceptance greatly compounds the survivor's self blame and isolation. Realistic judgments include a recognition of the dire circumstances of the traumatic event and the normal range of the victim's reactions. They include the recognition of moral dilemmas in the face of severely limited choices. This, hopefully, leads to a fair attribution of responsibility.

Finally, the survivor needs help from others to mourn her/his losses. Failure to complete the normal process of grieving perpetuates the traumatic reaction.


The Role of Community

Sharing the traumatic experience with others is a precondition for the restitution of a meaningful world.


Once it is publicly recognized that person has been harmed, the community must take action to assign responsibility for the harm and to repair the injury. Recognition and restitution are necessary to rebuild the survivor's sense of order and justice.

Repeated trauma in adulthood erodes the structure of personality already formed, but repeated trauma in childhood forms and deforms the personality.

Under conditions of chronic childhood abuse, fragmentation becomes the central principle of personality organization. Fragmentation in consciousness prevents the ordinary integration of knowledge, memory, emotional states, and bodily experiences. Fragmentation in the inner representations of the self prevent the integration of identity. Fragmentation of the inner representation of others prevents the development of a reliable sense of independence within connection.

On Idealizing
By idealizing the person to whom she becomes attached, she attempts to keep at bay the constant fear of being either dominated or betrayed. Inevitably, however, the chosen person fails to live up to her fantastic expectations. When disappointed, she may ferociously denigrate the same person whom she so recently adored. Ordinary interpersonal conflicts may provoke intense anxiety, depression, or rage. In the mind of the survivor, even minor slights evoke past experiences of deliberate cruelty. These distortions are not easily corrected by experience since the survivor tends to lack the verbal and social skills for resolving conflict. Thus, the survivor develops a pattern of intense, unstable relationships repeatedly enacting the drama of rescue, injustice, and betrayal.

Relationship problems
1. Desperate longing for nurturance make it difficult to establish safe and appropriate boundaries.

2. Denigration of self and idealization of others.

3. Empathic attunement to the wishes of others and unconscious habits of obedience make her vulnerable to people in positions of authority.

4. Dissociative tendencies make it difficult to form conscious, accurate assessments of danger.

5. The wish to relive dangerous situations to make them come out differently leads to reenactments of abuse.

A New Diagnosis -- Complex Post Traumatic Stress

A history of subjection to totalitarian control over a prolonged period (months or years). Examples include hostages, prisoners of war, concentration camp survivors, and survivors of some religious cults. Examples also include those subjected to totalitarian systems in sexual and domestic life, including survivors of domestic battering, childhood physical or sexual abuse, and organized sexual exploitation.



As far as I'm concerned, emotional trauma should be included in this category. A child who is regularly and repeatedly GASLIGHTED by one or both parents, and possibly by a sibling or siblings as well, has been fucking traumatized, no two ways about it.

Alterations in affect regulation, including

Persistent dysphoria
Chronic suicidal preoccupation
Self injury
Explosive or extremely inhibited anger (may alternate)
Compulsive or extremely inhibited sexuality (may alternate)


Alterations in consciousness, including

Amnesia or hypermnesia for traumatic events
Transient dissociative states
Depersonalization/derealization
Reliving experiences either in the form of intrusive post traumatic stress disorder
symptoms or in the form of ruminative preoccupations.

Alterations in self-perceptions, including

Sense of helplessness or paralysis of initiative
Shame, guilt, and self blame
Sense of defilement or stigma
Sense of complete difference from others (may include sense of specialness, utter
aloneness, belief no other person can understand, or nonhuman identity)

Alterations in perception of perpetrator, including

Preoccupation with relationship with perpetrator (includes preoccupation with revenge)
Unrealistic attribution of total power to perpetrator (caution: victim's assessment of
power realities may be more realistic than clinician's)
Idealization or paradoxical gratitude
Sense of special or supernatural relationship
Acceptance of belief system or rationalizations of perpetrator

Alteration in relations to others, including

Isolation or withdrawal
Disruption of intimate relationships
Repeated search for rescuer (may alternate with isolation and withdrawal)
Persistent distrust
Repeated failures of self protection

Alterations in systems of meaning

Loss of sustaining faith
Sense of hopelessness and despair

7 comments:

Michael Finley said...

You have great titles for you post. Mine suck.

I love the illustration on your blog.

I did not know what an ort was I like it. Does not seem like it otta be a noun.

I feel and think there is value in academic understanding of trauma. It creates a language and is a start. I see it only a value as a place to start. It can be kinda like studying an art instead of creating art and can get all hung up in just the practice.

That is where I am at right now.

grasshopper said...

Thanks! I pretty much just use whatever first comes into my head, though I try to relate the titles at least *somewhat* to the content, so I can (hopefully) find certain posts again later.

It reminds me of how different people file things different ways, and someone once described the method of 'putting things wherever you'd first think to look for them', rather than using some more left-brained method. I think my post titles are kind of like that. Not always logical to anybody but me, in other words.

Yes, the illustration is for a parable, Ant & Grasshopper, maybe you know it? I googled to see if I could find it, and lo and behold, the Wiki version actually uses the same illustration! It's here if you're curious: http://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/

The_Ant_and_the_Grasshopper

(I try to break links - when I remember - to try to minimize unwanted traffic.) I didn't realize the story was from Aesop's Fables.

Yes, orts is a cool word. Can't say I've ever used it out loud :-) You're right, it sounds like some weird creature from, maybe, a Star Trek movie or something.

Yeah, I figure, when you're trying to work your way through something and you don't know what else to do, you just throw everything you've got at it.

My saying about this is, "Take what you need and leave the rest." I'm sure I've said that before and will probably say it again many more times - it's something I have to keep remembering, because it's easy to get caught up in 'right' and 'wrong' and unwittingly start following some 'prophet' or other, as you mentioned in another comment somewhere.

I like that you say 'that's where I'm at.' I like finding ways of saying things that contain no judgment, neither good nor bad.

Michael Finley said...

A friend helped me with finding things she said "Look with your eyes not you hands."

Try using Ort out loud it is great fun. Funny how it seems to want to be capitalized.

I know the story my younger brother is actually called grasshopper for his ability to not be around when there was work to be done when he was a child.

I often work through something with spontaneous writing or drawing. I am now using that for things other than trauma.

I use many phrases; Don't matter, That is ok, It is ok. And that is ok, a just is thing, it is wrong but that is the way it is.

I really thought that I would someday find the right way for everything. Hard to give that up.I think some people feel they really know the right way for everything.

Two things that have I am working on from my random reading of your blog; Authority/power and the eating.

I do not like authority or power. I don't like having it nor dealing with it. "Do not show authority the respect it deserves and not expect those in authority not to get pissed off. Michael

I really like and respect real power that come from who a person is or what they can do and not what authority they have been given.

I have had many employees and am upfront that I am ruthless with my exercise of power in that I hire people to make money and if that does not happen they are gone. I also expect the same from them. If someone else can pay them more than I expect them to do that. That to me is a good balance and it works out. Pretty much I ran my companies so I could pay the most and that is why I had the best employees.

With the eating what stands out is "I can not eat" I need to find out why sometimes I can not eat. It is not that sometimes I do not.

I do a lot with "unlearning" I trash everything everyone else thinks must be going on and stay away from the solution and try and find the cause.

This is what I have come up with so far. Say I am going to jump off a cliff into the water which I have done. I stand on the cliff and can not do it. Then I jump. Next time I stand on the cliff I can not do it. That is kinda what eating is like. Now I need to find out why.

Another thing that came to me from your blog is pondering why are men afraid of women's anger. It is real and complicated. I am hoping being aware of that will put it where it belongs.

Michael Finley said...

Try using Ort out loud it is great fun. Funny how is seems to want to be capitalized.

I use lots of phrases, That's OK, Its ok, and that is OK, don't matter, a just is thing for sure and I don't care anymore.

I work a lot out with throwing everything I have at it and seeing what happens.

I really thought that I would someday find the right way to do everything. Course I figured I would get to do everything I wanted also.

From your blog I have been working on power and authority. I do not like having either nor dealing with either. Knowing that helps. There is to much concentration on power from authority and I want out as much as I can.

I have also been working on the why are men afraid of woman's anger. I think that is a power thing with me. A defenseless thing as I do not understand it.

With the eating I am working on the unlearning of what other people think is going on. It is not that I do not eat it is sometimes I can not. It is kinda like how I jump off a cliff into the water.

I stand on the cliff and I can not jump off. I jump. Next time I stand on the cliff I can not jump and I jump.

The solution is not to solve things so I eat I need to find out why sometimes I can not. Least that is the best I have come up with so far.

Michael Finley said...

On the giving to much information or more than once.

It is aggravating, unnecessary, it is not going away. I think it is caused by inarticulate listening which leads to inarticulate speach which leads to poor communication.

I will use directions as an example. If I say do you know how to get from point A to point B I do not need to know how to get there from point C and then to point Z then to point B. I do not need to know everything you know about between point A can B. Nor do I know everything about between point A and B that you do. Going by your Aunt Ida's house is not helpful information. If I ask for the quickest or the easiest that is what I mean and they are often two different answers. The highway is not information if I do not know what the highway is.

So often I get a good answer not to the question I asked.

When I call tech support I often start with I know it is likely that that last person you talked to was an idiot I am not. If this was a simple question I would not be asking it. Are you willing to possibly have to think. Often this is appreciated.

Conversely often I get asked a question and than am blamed that there is not a simple answer or it is not what is wanted to be heard.

As a consultant it is not uncommon for me to have someone call me back and say you said ... and it has nothing to do with what I said rather what they wish they heard.

I am not sure that part of all this is I care about false information as it needs to be corrected. Where it feels like to some false information is the same as correct information.

There I feel much better.

grasshopper said...

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry it has taken me a few days to respond to these comments, my car has broken down and it's been consuming all my mental and emotional resources trying to deal with it. But just now I've finally made the progress (got the car back to my house today, yay!) So I'm able to relax a little.

Interesting your comment about 'finding the right way for everything'. I read somewhere once that there is no right or wrong, there's just what *works*, meaning, whatever we have to do to get the end result we seek. Or, I *think* that's what it meant.

Yes, the power and authority thing is constantly on my mind. I don't like it either, I wish it would just go away. But the reality is, *I* probably use my 'power' just as much as anybody, but I'm not always aware of it. I *try* to pay attention as well as I can, and mostly try not to *abuse* power when I have it. I have way to often been on the receiving end of power abuse, so I have a pretty short fuse when it happens.

***
I don't know if this is what you mean about 'unlearning', but if it's the same thing, *I* call it the 'shoulds'. And I work really hard to get rid of 'shoulds' in my mind and my life, because they were usually put there by somebody who didn't have my best interests at heart!

***
I'm not sure I understand about the eating thing. Do you mean, sometimes when there is food in front of you you can't eat it? Sorry if I am being obtuse about this.

***
On giving too much information:

I wonder if people give information the way *they* would like to receive it?

There's a general principal about public speaking called something like, "Know your audience."

I think most people aren't good at knowing their audience, or maybe they just think everyone is the same as them? Or, possibly, when I'm feeling horribly cynical and frustrated, I sometimes think it's because people *just don't think.* There, I admitted it. I am not always a nice person.

***
Glad you feel better getting that off your chest :-)

Michael Finley said...

Sorry about the car. I hate them well I like them when they work. When I have to work for them not so much.

The unlearning is much about what is true for most people that is not for me. Other times I just figured stuff out not wrong more I see it differently now.

I can know everything about eating and that I would be better off if I ate and have food available an not eat it. I am hungry sometimes it feels like I need to wait until it hurts.

With communication I am working on what I need to know and if I have to sift through what is being said that is what I have to do if I want to know.

I am very specific in my language when I can be. I do not say my car needs gas. I say fuel. I might not do this if I had not use diesel and gasoline once I know it make make a difference I go with it.

I go with there is a right way for me even if I am not sure what it is. Sometimes what I do effects other people. I get to decide if that effect is there gig or mine. Say I take a drawing class and the instructor wants me to keep a journal and I do not. I am an adult I get to choose. Say I am in the art class and and want to talk about painting that is not OK. Sounds simple I only got the not talking about painting part. In a way I missed that I get to not do things I do not want to. Well I got that if I was angry.

I think everyone feels they are articulate and they are not. I often get blamed for not explaining something right when it is really just over someones head.

Note I wing it when writing about trauma and such.