Sunday, September 19, 2010

what is a friend?

I recently asked a friend for help with some homemade 'storm windows' that I got last winter and never finished installing because I mis-measured the space they need to fit and they're just *that* much too big.

I left him a voicemail, hoping he might help - I need both a vehicle big enough to haul them to the hardware store to be re-cut (he's got a pickup truck and a station wagon), and an extra pair of hands, since the sheets are too big for me to physically handle alone.

I just got an email back that seemed calculated to make me feel guilty for asking, though he has a slightly flowery, archaic turn of phrase that makes it hard (for *me*) to tell whether he's joking or not.

I wrote a response back (that I sent to my*self*) that let me get out all the angry, frustrated, painful feelings I had when reading his email.

And now I'm trying to think of how to *really* respond.

First of all, I prefer the phone, because there can be some back-and-forth.

And also, I don't like being made responsible for someone else's guilt feelings!

I mean, why does he feel guilty in the first place? I don't know. I mean, *I* think he has far more resources than I do, from his family, to being male, etc. Privileges I'm quite sure he's blissfully unaware of.

I *do* know that he seems to have a certain kind of - puritanical? guilt, which he's exhibited repeatedly over the years.

I've never been sure how much our 'friendship' was based on that; how much was based on latent, unexpressed sexual attraction or other feeling; and how much he simply *likes* me and wanted to help.

Very confusing.

I've tried to talk about this before with him, when we were on a couple of long car journeys (just the two of us) to try to relieve the tension I'd always felt impeded us from being the kind of friends *I* thought we could be: Close, but not spending a lot of time together. Of like mind, on certain things. Kindred spirits, or something like that.

Exchanges like this make me question things - it's a bit of that Charlie-Brown-and-the-football, house of cards, quicksand feeling that I've had so often with my own family.

I wish I could TALK with him about it, openly and freely, and FIND OUT.

But he's married, and I'm not sure he even has conversations that candid with his own wife. I can't fathom how people do this - sleep, night after night, in close physical proximity to someone who might as well be living on Neptune for all the shared understanding they have of the other person's universe.

No comments: