Sunday, September 12, 2010

looking for clues (at the scene of the crime)

I still keep trying to decipher the look on his face, the expression.

It was like he KNEW me, immediately, intensely, deeply. But that's not possible.

I kept feeling like he wanted me to LIKE him, but when I wouldn't give in to his urgent demands (like a baby?) he became - withdrawn? No, that's not right.

Gah, all this INTENSITY in such a short time. I USED to have that kind of relationship all the time, where it would go too fast, and I'd quickly get in over my head.

I THOUGHT I'd learned how to avoid that sort of thing. But - being alone so much, I get HUNGRY, LONELY, and on the rare occasion that I've met someone I really want to be with, well, YEAH, why not get ON with it? Especially if they're feeling the same way?

I don't think one speed fits all. I think we should all go whatever speed feels COMFORTABLE and SAFE for us.

(remembering the whole childhood thing, how I was pushed to be an 'adult' long, long before I was ready. And being shoved out of the nest too soon, with no support, encouragement or appreciation. My house was built on quicksand, and I'm trying to rebuild the foundation.)

***
I don't what's 'appropriate' to ask for or expect - what's 'reasonable', either from my side or the other person.

I guess it depends what you grew up with, what you're used to, and your temperament - again, what you're COMFORTABLE with.

No comments: