Sunday, September 5, 2010

containment device - and some yoga/heart meridian ideas

Favorite word so far today: Flapdoodle :-)

***
This blog is becoming yet another storage device (auxiliary to my brain) for random ideas - like my bulletin board, covered with scraps of paper and post-it notes; the whiteboard on my fridge,which has scrawled ideas, thoughts, things I want to remember, layered on top of each other, the older ones faded and hastily wiped out when something urgent and new needs to be kept track of.

***
Link(s?) today:
I especially like this one, about the Heart Meridian:
Heart: Fire-energy yin organ
http://www.lieske.com/channels/5e-heart.htm

Here's a quote (taking what I NEED and leaving the rest, as always - wheat from chaff):
What happens to the memories of the amygdala? They become our individual nightmare, the invisible conditioning of all our actions, the blind spot of our lives, the origin of all our terrors, the unknown reason why we do what we done even when we do not know why we do it.
[...]
And this is why there is yoga. Can we destroy these nightmares to which we have no access to, can we change those distorted faces of the gods, can we dissolve our conditioning?

The answer is, of course, yes, and the path is YOGA. And this, why? Because the conditioning of the amygdala can only be removed by the intelligence system previous to it, and this is the heart, with its electromagnetic force and its power of transformation. Otherwise, the amygdala can act on its own by passing the intelligence centers of the neo-cortex.
I'm not a regular practitioner of yoga, but there was a time when liked it, when it was part of my 'routine' for a while. But then things shifted and moved on.

And now a space is opening (both literally and figuratively) for this to return to my life.

I'm looking forward to having it there again, the body care routine. I've been missing it. Not sure how it's going to fit in, yet - most likely I'll revisit the old favorite poses that used to be part of my daily (nightly, really), calming-down, stretching, relaxing routine. Shoulder stand and plow pose were favorites, and very powerful when done in the right way, space, time, and with the right kind of mental atmosphere. When I did those on a regular basis, they really helped.

I'm working on creating an environment that attracts me naturally to doing what I need to do. I've finally (and no judgment implied - just happy to get here :-) cleared away much of the mental detritus that was preventing me from creating it before. (Still having trouble with the off-gassing from the PVC blinds - it's pretty horrible when the sun hits. Don't know why it never bothered me til this last year, must have hit some kind of critical mass of toxic load or something?)

I'm now actually ENJOYING my little house - the space is beautiful, with lots of light; the searing heat of summer is gone, and we've entered that magical window of indian summer, where it's still warm, but with cooler breezes and more moisture in the air.

But summer was a healing time - the unusually high heat forced me to sink into the ennui and torpor that eventually became an enforced REST, taking my various bodily functions off the perpetual red-alert they'd been living in for all those cold, winter, spring, early summer months. That was a loooooooooong stretch.

Now I feel recharged, and ready to deal with winter, almost. This little transitory stretch, I hope, will help me prepare in the other ways I need to.

***
I don't believe in all the 'mystical' BS in the above quote from the linked article, but I *do* strongly believe in changing the patterns of the amygdala-driven fear responses with some kind of conscious attention to how the pattern is working - or, more accurately, not working, at least it's not working the way I need it to. Which is: Less frantically, and in a more calm, even, smoothly-flowing fashion :-)

Which requires me to become conscious of my 'triggers' and learn, to the best of my ability, to provide myself with ways to calm myself when something sends me into red-alert territory.

Fortunately I have enough friends now who are conversant with all these ideas that I can reach out for help far more easily than I was able to in the past.

I believe that the body really only 'unlearns' old patterns experientially, that is, via the mechanism of experiencing the old situation in a new way, with a new person, and a different outcome. That's the key: The different outcome. Like a kind of Pavlovian training for the emotions (which is not *my* idea - I picked up the gist of that somewhere from a link which I'll add if I can find it.)

***
More links:

Can emotion be quantified?
http://www.allbusiness.com/health-care/medical-practice-alternative-medicine/12799613-1.html

Water Cluster Quackery
http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html

Chinese Acupuncture - 24-hr clock & horary clock, + 5-element chart
http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/accu.asp

No comments: